Chapter 5: Belief In The Books
Kutub (books) is plural for Kitab (a book). They are called Kutub because
they are written (maktoob). Books, here means the Books that Allah sent down to
His Messengers as a mercy and guidance for mankind. These Books are designed to
lead mankind to what brings them happiness in this life and in the Hereafter.
There are four aspects of believing in the Books
1. To believe that they are truly sent down by Allah.
2. To believe in the Books that mankind were informed of, like the
Qur’aan, sent down to Muhammad (sallallaahu alaihi wa-sallam), the Torah, sent
down to Moses, the Injeel (the Gospel), sent down to Jesus and the Zaboor (the
Psalms), sent down to David. We also believe in the other Books, sent down by
Allah, even though we do not know their names.
3. To believe in whatever the Books contained, like whatever is contained
in the Qur’aan and sections of previous Books that have not been corrupted.
4. To implement the Commandments contained in these Books, unless Allah
commanded to the contrary through Naskh (over ruling). We must accept whatever
these Books contained of Commandments, even if we do not know the wisdom behind
them. All previous Books were over-ruled by the Qur’aan. Allah said, what
translated means, “And We have sent down to you (O Muhammad) the Book (this
Qur’aan) in truth, confirming the Scripture that came before it and dominant
over it.” [5:48]. This means that the Qur’aan is dominant over all other Books.
Therefore, no Commandment contained in other than the Qur’aan can be implemented
unless it is in agreement with the Qur’aan.
Benefits Of Believing In The Books
1. Knowing that Allah takes care of His slaves by sending down Books for their
2. Knowing Allah’s Wisdom in whatever He commands. He commanded each nation with
what is suitable for them, “To each among you, We have prescribed a Law and a
Clear Way.” [5:48].
3. Thanking Allah for His bounties, because He sent down these Books to lead
mankind to guidance.
There is no worthy of worship exept ALLAH and Mohammed is his messenger