Chapter 6: The Soul's Journey in Brief
1. To sum up the evidence, it is clear that the souls of all people,
believers and unbelievers, are taken up to the heavens at the time of death by
angels and presented to Allah Almighty.
2. The record of the believer?s deeds is placed in a high place in heaven called
Illiyyin and the sinner?s record is thrown into the lowest earth known as Sijjin.
"Nay! Truly the record of the evil-doers is preserved in Sijjin. And what will
explain to you what Sijjin is? A register inscribed. Nay! Truly the record of
the pious is preserved in Illiyyin. And what will make you know what Illiyyin
is? A Register inscribed. To which bear witness those nearest to Allah (i.e. the
angels).? (Soorah Al-Mutaffifin v 7-9, 18-21)
3. The souls are returned to their bodies temporarily for questioning by the
4. When the soul returns, the dead person is able to hear the retreating
footsteps of the men who came to bury him. This is an exception to the general
rule in the Qur'aan that the dead cannot hear the living.
?Verily, you cannot make the dead to hear, nor can you make the deaf hear the
call when they flee, turning their backs.? (Surah An Naml v 80)
?Nor are alike the living and the dead. Verily, Allah makes whom He will hear,
but you cannot make those in the graves hear.? (Surah Fatir v. 22)
5. The blessed soul is taken to the heavens where it is changed into a bird and
eats freely from the fruits in paradise. It rests in a state of peaceful sleep
while the cool breezes of paradise flow gently over it. In contrast is the
sinner?s soul, which is thrown with contempt into the lowest earth to feel the
savage heat and stench of hell. Both kinds of soul reside in the same places as
their Records of deeds.
6. The torture of the grave is for the soul, but if Allah Wills, it can also
be felt by the body. The human body has to decay and decompose into the ground,
but as the punishment of the grave is for the soul, it can continue until the
There is no worthy of worship exept ALLAH and Mohammed is his messenger